Tuesday, September 4, 2012

pre-op appointment!

Today I had my pre-op appointment. Holy smokes, I was so nervous! I was worried I might pass out on the way there, and I was shaking when I got out of my car. I don't think I have ever been so nervous about something! I'm definitely not having second thoughts, I just wish I could skip forward to September 25 or so...Maybe even mid October.

When I got there, I had a billion forms to sign (and I actually took the time to read ALL of them) so I had some time to calm down my nerves. I then went in to chat with Dr. Stephens' nurse about all the pre/post-surgery details. Dr. Stephens came in a little later and we talked more about the surgery and he pinched my fat belly a little (ha ha). I told him I was really nervous, and he said I was going to be "just fine." Ok Dr. Stephens, I'm holding you to that!

I also had photos taken (sorry, I don't have copies) and got all the prescriptions that I'll need to have filled before the surgery. Ugh, and I have to go get some blood work done.

One of the lingering questions however is whether or not I'm going to have to stop taking my arthritis medications. One of them I don't mind stopping, but the other one takes up to 6 months to take effect, and I JUST passed the 6-month mark! I do not want to stop taking it. So I put a call in to my rheumatologist and will hopefully hear back from her tomorrow. From what little I could find on the interest, it looks like it's a safe enough drug that I can continue taking.

I'll also have to switch out my sleeping pills and muscle relaxers for some other ones that are more compatible with the anesthesia and pain meds I'll be on. Totally ok with that since at least I'll have replacements!

I also found out that I'll probably need to take off more time from work than I thought. Not sure I'll have enough sick time, but my boss is cool are coworkers are cool—they are already expecting me to be gone longer (they know me well). :-)

So on 9/19 I'll go in at 7:00 a.m. I hope Dr. Stephens has had plenty of coffee by then! It's a 5-1/2 hour surgery. That seems like a long time.

6 comments:

  1. So exciting Joanne! Can't wait to see ya when it's a said and done! You will be "just fine" you will look back and be so happy you did it :D yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martina! You know you are my inspiration for this, so you BETTER be right or I'm blaming it all on you! haha! I'd never do that. Thanks for being so incredibly supportive! <3

      Delete
  2. Usually all women are very happy with the result of their surgeries but it's natural to be scared and have doubts the procedure you want to undergo will be perfect. I remember I was very scared when I had tummy tuck in Toronto even if I knew my surgeon is one of the best. Only after everything finished I realized it was a nice experience with an amazing result and started to enjoy it:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete